Best Face Forward
Fall in Love with Autumn Looks
Happy belated Thanksgiving!!
With the cool, crisp feeling of fall in the air, I really like to switch up my makeup to bold/dark, clean looks this time of year – something with berries and plums.
If you’re new to those rich, autumn colours, try picking a focal point: either the eyes or the lips. A very neutral eye with mascara and a bold lip can be a really nice look. It can look classy, sassy, or funky. If you’re more into keeping the focus on your eyes, then another fall combination that really works is doing a subtle smoky eye with plums or berries, and keeping the lips a neutral colour. You can keep it really subtle and towards the berry shades if you’re newer into makeup. As you practice and get more comfortable, you can move to plums and deeper colours. I tend to prefer to focus on a dark lip myself.
Some tips for bold lips:
- Moisturize while doing the rest of the face, and wipe off the lip balm before doing lips.
- Use a coordinating lip liner to line lips for precision and to help the lipstick from feathering outside your lips.
- If you fill your lips in with the liner, it can help it last longer too!
Some tips for a berry/plum smoky eye:
- Use berries and plums to build layers with a light hand so you don’t go too dark too fast.
- Blend well and don’t bring it past your crease too much – that will help keep it daytime appropriate.
- Use berry, plum (or even black if you’re into black) to line your eyes and bring a smoky feel.
Some bonus tips for Halloween:
- Watch videos and read blogs for ideas on how to get the costume/look you want.
- If you want to avoid masks, look up the look you’re going for and attempt it with face paint instead. Work from light to dark face paint colours to avoid getting a messy, muddy look.
- Break down any face painting you do into steps, and try to look at the shapes in the look to find small manageable pieces if you’re overwhelmed by a design.
- Read info on Halloween makeup packaging! Some products aren’t safe around eyes, some aren’t safe around mouths!
- Test for makeup allergies before the actual day to prevent any rashes or irritation the day of.
Have a fun, safe, and happy Halloween!
About the Author
Tina Michelle is a freelance makeup artist in Oshawa, Ontario. She loves to help others feel better about themselves by teaching them to use makeup as a tool at their disposal to bring their best face forward. She never wants you to feel like makeup is something that you have use to cover yourself up so you are considered pretty. You already are beautiful! Tina hopes to help you discover that makeup is fun and can be playful, and doesn’t have to be another chore on a to-do list. You can find her on Facebook here: (www.Facebook.com/MakeupByTinaMichelle/) or Twitter (www.twitter.com/MakeupByTinaM.com/) or Instagram: (www.twww.instagram.com/MakeupByTinaMichelle/)