From the Editor
Realize Your Potential…
If you’ve ever watched The Biggest Loser, then you’ll know the name Jillian Michaels. For those of you who haven’t seen the show, I’ll fill you in. Jillian Michaels was the fitness trainer on that show who helped lots of contestants lose lots of weight. She became famous for her tough love, no nonsense, get results approach to weight loss.
Having seen Jillian Michaels on The Biggest Loser, I knew she was hard core. And, when I came across some of her workouts on YouTube a few weeks back, I was afraid to hit the “play” button. You heard me, AFRAID.
It didn’t help either that I read the comments section from those who had attempted to try her workout and said:
- It was so hard! I almost died!
- I couldn’t complete the circuit and fell on my butt halfway through.
But then I also read comments from those who had persevered through her workout and said:
- I lost X inches and X pounds since doing the workouts.
- I didn’t know my body could do such things!
- I can feel myself getting stronger!
- I feel like I can do anything now.
The first comment is the most obvious motivation people have for starting a workout, so to hear that you shed pounds from others who have tried it is great. I’ll admit, it was my main driving factor for hitting the “play” button. But the last three comments stuck out to me as well.
So, I gingerly attempted a few of her workouts and quickly realized how out of shape I was. Ouch! But I kept at it and slowly but surely I got better. My arms and legs got more toned. I could lift more weights. I dropped inches here and there and my physique took on a leaner shape. More importantly, I felt (still feel) great!
When I tell people I do her workouts, they are surprised. “Really? How is it?”, I’m often asked. This is how I describe it:
- Is it easy? Not a chance. Prepare to be challenged.
- Will she make you cry? Perhaps
- Does she make you swear and want to throw things at the TV? Yes
- Do you get results? Yes, if you stick with it and eat clean as well. (As she says, you can eat your way through any exercise program.)
- Does she make you feel like you can take on the world? Yes, because you get stronger, fitter and realize that if you put your mind to something (anything!), regardless of how hard and insurmountable it may seem, you can and will achieve it.
…Doing her workouts has helped me realize my potential, not only in fitness, but in all areas of my life.
About the Author
Wendy Chiavalon is the Editor-in-Chief of The Local Biz Magazine. She lives in Ajax with her family. She loves watching Pixar movies, salsa dancing, road trips and of course, baking and eating cakes (who wouldn’t)?! In her spare time, she doubles as a cake decorator, baking and decorating cakes and other goodies for special occasions. You can check out some of her work at www.wendyscakeshoppe.com and follow her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/wendyscakeshoppe