The Wellness Revolution
7 Reasons to See a Naturopath
Have you been thinking about seeing a naturopathic doctor but aren’t sure what to expect or how they could help you? Here are some of the top reasons to seek out a naturopath.
1. Wholistic approach. Most people seek out naturopathic services because they are looking for a different approach to their health. Naturopathic doctors are unique in the way they treat their patients; they look beyond the symptoms a person presents with and evaluate the whole person. The body is intricate and all the systems are connected which is why it is important to naturopaths to seek out the root cause of illness. In order to determine the root cause, naturopaths ask a lot of questions about all aspects of your life; so what may seem unrelated to your concern can actually be very important in determining the cause.
2. Time. Naturopathic doctors spend a lot of time with their patients. The average length of a first appointment is an hour or more. This amount of time is needed to learn everything about you and have important conversations about your health history. It also allows for you to ask questions about your concerns, and it doesn’t limit your visit to only one question or concern. One of the reasons naturopathic doctors are able to spend so much time with their patients is because they are not covered by OHIP and therefore not restricted in time. Although the cost of visits are covered by provincial health care, many individuals have extended employee health care benefits that may cover the entire cost. Check with your provider to see what your coverage is.
3. Treatment options. Naturopaths offer a variety of treatments such as acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutritional supplementation, dietary advice, homeopathy, and Traditional Chinese Medicine. More and more people are seeking options for treatment beyond prescription medications. Naturopathic doctors work with their patients to educate them about their options and help them to make the best choice for their health.
4.Testing. Did you know naturopathic doctors can run a variety of lab tests? These tests range from your annual blood work, to allergy testing, to urine tests. And, when the results of those tests come in, your naturopath sits down with you to go over the results. Already had a series of testing done? Naturopathic doctors can request your records from your physician or specialist, review those results with you, and work alongside other practitioners as part of your integrated health care team.
5. Information. Naturopaths aren’t just doctors, they are healthcare educators, there to provide you with answers to your questions about your health. Because “Dr. Google” might have lots of information but how do you know what is accurate and reliable?
6.Training. Naturopathic doctors are highly educated, in fact most people don’t realize their education is comparable to that of a medical doctor. Naturopaths have a minimum of seven years of post graduate studies, including a bachelor’s degree and a four year naturopathic medical degree which includes a full year internship. Check out this comparison of the curriculum of a naturopathic and medical doctors.
7. The path less traveled. A lot of people seek alternatives to health care when they’ve tried everything but nothing has worked. Sometimes this leads people to naturopaths as a last resort. However, because naturopathic doctors offer a variety of treatment options, they are equipped to offer a different path to help you achieve your health goals. It might take some time, remember naturopaths address the root cause, but it will be worth it in the end.
Ready to discover how a naturopath can help you achieve optimal health and wellness? Click here and enter your city to find a naturopathic doctor near you.
About the Author
Dr. Kate Klein is a licensed naturopathic doctor and clinic director at Your Health Collective, an integrative wellness clinic located in the heart of Ajax. Dr. Klein and her team offer services including, naturopathic medicine, holistic nutrition, acupuncture, osteopathy, and psychotherapy to patients of all ages. Practitioners at Your Health Collective provide a collaborative approach to patient care through a variety of natural treatments and solutions for health concerns ranging from disordered sleep, allergies, fertility, headaches, digestive concerns, and much more. We believe that health is more than just the absence of disease; health is when we function at our best through proper nutrition, exercise, a balanced lifestyle, positive emotions, thoughts and actions. For more information about Dr. Klein, naturopathic medicine, or our clinic please visit: www.yourhealthcollective.ca