What's Up Durham?
Region of Durham cycling update includes more routes, new infrastructure, events, partnerships, and employment opportunities
The Region of Durham has provided an update on cycling related infrastructure, ridership and marketing initiatives:
- The Region of Durham added six kilometres of cycling infill routes in the urban areas as part of the Ontario Municipal Cycling Commuter Grant.
- The Region has secured two new dedicated positions for active transportation and hiring will take place later this year to fill these positions.
- The Region is eagerly awaiting news on their application to the Federal Active Transportation Fund, where several new planning and infrastructure projects were applied for.
- Between 2021 and 2023, the Region will have installed more than 20 crossrides and bicycle signal heads, with many more are in various planning phases for future years.
- The Region, in partnership with its area municipalities and community partners, hosted a series of Bike Month events to promote cycling including a Bike Month pledge, region-wide cycling challenge, Bike Month Bingo and a cycling scavenger hunt photo contest. Collectively, participants logged 2,124 kilometres by bike and saved 551 kilograms of greenhouse gas emissions.
- In June, the Region hosted an e-bike and e-scooter demo for the public to learn more about e-mobility devices and safe operation as outlined in the new Regional Electric Kick Scooter By-law. Vendors were available on site with e-bikes and e-scooters for people to try.
- Throughout 2022, there have been 45,232 trips by bike according to Strava data for leisure and commuting. That’s an 85 per cent increase in weekend trips within the last month and a 55 per cent increase in visitors travelling by bike to the Region in the last month as well.
- Chris Mitchell cycles through York Durham Headwaters and shares his three top rides in this Newsfeed Cycling in York Durham Headwaters: 3 routes to get better acquainted with the best of the Region — travelingmitch
About the Author
Bryen writes about local Durham community news, including regional events, municipality updates, entertainment, lifestyle, and the great outdoors. Email him directly if you want your business profiled or know a community member that deserves recognition - email@example.com