What's Up Durham?
Durham Region’s Curbside Giveaway Day – September 16, 2023
Residents in the Town of Ajax, Township of Brock, Municipality of Clarington, City of Pickering, Township of Scugog, Township of Uxbridge and Town of Whitby are invited to take part in the Regions new fall Curbside Giveaway Day on September 16.
Curbside Giveaway Day is a pilot project event organized in co-operation with the local area municipalities, where residents can place unwanted items in good conditionclearly marked as freeon their curb for anyone to pick up. At the end of the Giveaway Day, residents return unclaimed items to their home.
The City of Oshawa will not be participating in the Curbside Giveaway pilot project and encourages community members to explore reuse opportunities by visiting oshawa.ca/WasteReduction.
When:Saturday, September 16 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., with September 23 as a rain date.
Where:Residents in Ajax, Brock, Clarington, Pickering, Scugog, Uxbridge and Whitby are encouraged to take part by placing their unwanted itemsthat may still be useful for othersat the curb on Curbside Giveaway Day.
How to participate:
- Check out the full list of acceptable and unacceptable items.
- Mark all your items free that you wish to give away and place them at the curb on Giveaway Day.
- Please return unclaimed items into your home by 7 p.m., or:
- Donate to charity.
- Give to a local thrift shop.
- Post them on a free classifieds website, such as Kijiji, Varage or Facebook Marketplace.
- Material left at the curb after the Curbside Giveaway Day will be subject to by-law enforcement.
- Baby items such as car seats and cribs should not be placed at the curb for safety reasons.
- Remember to obey all traffic laws and to watch for children.
- Do not block traffic, sidewalks, or place items on the road.
- Do not trespass on other peoples property, block other peoples driveway or park illegally.
- Please continue to follow safe and sanitary practices when participating in a giveaway:
- Clean and disinfect items prior to the giveaway.
- Clothing or other fabric items should be laundered prior to the giveaway. We also recommend laundering any clothing you have acquired.
- For additional guidance: Facts for Garage Sale Vendors – Canada.ca.
Why:Curbside Giveaway Day events are an opportunity to reduce the amount of garbage going to disposal by giving away your unwanted items or by going on a treasure hunt in participating communities to find some new-to-you items. Its a fun way to help the environment while connecting with your community.
For more details, visit durham.ca/CurbsideGiveaway.
About the Author
Bryen writes about local Durham community news, including regional events, municipality updates, entertainment, lifestyle, and the great outdoors. Email him directly if you want your business profiled or know a community member that deserves recognition - firstname.lastname@example.org