What's Up Durham?
Discover micro-adventures and slow travel activities in Durham Region
Having something special planned to look forward to is a great way to beat burnout. Micro-adventures or short trips that you can take in Durham Region provide an opportunity to rest and reset, enjoy nature or to learn something new. Whether you reset while connecting with friends, or you feel rejuvenated after a quiet walk in the woods, carving time out for yourself to pursue your passions is a burnout buster.
There is nothing quite like starting the day off with a delicious breakfast crafted by someone else, especially with no dishes to clean up. Give yourself a break and grab a corner booth in north Durham Region. Serving up breakfast until 11:30 a.m., The Pantry Shelf in Downtown Port Perry has a great variety of freshly made breakfast options. Try out their house made scones or muffins to go along with your eggs, or opt for their low carb breakfast options. Get more ideas for the most important meal of the day in our story:Rise and shine with Durham Regions delicious breakfast spots.
Then take the long way home, with fresh country air and your favourite tunes. Take a slow, self guided tour to explore the three driving guides that Durham Region has to offer, and discover explore hidden gems along our country roads. Explore theBackroads of Brock, theLeaskdale Loop,and theSideroads of Scugog, or while in Clarington, takea Country Pathto visit local farmers and artisans. If you like folk art nestled along beautiful, rural landscapes, you can also take a meander through the countryside on theDurham Region Barn Quilt Trail.
It is funny how you dont know how essential something is until you experience it. Cue forest bathing, a physiological and psychological exercise that gives you a break from burnout and allows you to reconnect with nature. Durham Region is happily home to manyparks, conservation areas and trailswhere you can go to walk, wander and reconnect with nature.
TheTrail Hubin Uxbridge is a wonderful place to spend the day exploring. With picturesque views, you can sip and savour a delicious menu of mouth-watering dishes at the HandleBar Grill after youve hit their trails on foot, or by bike. While visiting, you can explore the Oak Ridges Moraine Trail, TransCanada Trail, East Duffins Headwaters Trails, and Durham Forest Trails, or you can take in the unobstructed panoramic view of the southern Ontario skyline.
If you want to feel like youre on vacation,Therma Spa Villageis truly an escape. As the largest spa in Ontario, Therma gives you a chance to take refuge from stress and reconnect with yourself. With saunas, baths, rituals and rest areas, there is a world of experiences to discover.
Research has found that making art can activate new pathways in the brain, reduce overall stress, lower your anxiety levels and improve your mood. Across Durham Region there are creative opportunities to immerse yourself in the healing powers of the arts. Durham Region has a huge maker community and is a hub for artisan markets and crafting stores. From specialty knitting stores to craft shops, and sewing and quilting stores to pottery and art classes, there is no shortage of local shops and stores to feed your need to create something spectacular. Here is a curated list of places to you can take art classes:
- Ceramics Canadain Ajax Pottery wheel classes, hand building with clay and pottery painting
- 4Cats Arts Studioin Whitby Art workshops and art supplies
- Arts on Firein Ajax Painting, drawing, knitting and improv classes
- Crock a Doodlein Whitby and Pickering Pottery painting
- Station Galleryin Whitby Art, photography, and pottery classes
- Visual Arts Centre of Claringtonin Bowmanville Painting, photography and pottery classes
- Cynthia Cupples Designwarein Uxbridge Pottery classes
- Art Classes Uxbridge Painting classes
- Julie Glaudes Art Spacein Pickering Painting and drawing classes
- Meta4 Contemporary Galleryin Port Perry Portraiture, painting, sculpture, pottery and jewelry and metalsmithing classes
- A Gift of Artin Newcastle Painting, drawing, carving, stained glass and felt art classes
- Robert McLaughlin Galleryin Oshawa Art classes and panel talks
- Inese Pogain Ajax Art classes and workshops
Pushing yourself outside your comfort zone is a great way to beat boredom and break out of burnout. Why not grow your recipe repertoire by taking a cooking class? From mastering a new sour dough recipe, to handmade pasta and even becoming a barbecue grill master, there are many new and tasty things to learn in the kitchen. Here is a curated list of cooking classes in Durham Region:
- Dishplay Public cooking classes
- KB Food Four course cooking demonstrations
- Baked By Tristan Cookie kits that come with step-by-step instructions
- Chef Alex Page Pop up cooking classes at farms, or private cooking classes
- The Passionate Cook Essentials Demonstration style cooking classes
- Loft Cooking School Take a Loft Cooking School cooking class at Longos Ajax or Longos Brooklin
If you have enough time for an overnight getaway, visitPlan a Rural Overnight Sojourn in Durham Regionwhich features curated overnight getaways where you can explore, sip and savour the regions beautiful towns, less than an hour and a half drive from Toronto. Each rural sojourn includes something old, something new, something fresh and something you. Get out and find a beautiful place to get lost in, and when doing so, maybe youll find something too.
A recommended itinerary in Clarington starts with a stay atHoliday Inn Express and Suites,which offers an indoor heated pool and complimentary breakfast. While in Clarington visitdowntown Bowmanvilles cute and contemporary shops, and have a sublime meal atThree Six Kitchen, who offer a fantastic menu that includes vegan and local meat options. Also plan for a stop at Archibald Orchards & Estate Winery. This fourth generation farm has more than 10,000 apple trees, offers ciders and fruit wine tastings, and plenty of delicious apple treats.
About the Author
Bryen writes about local Durham community news, including regional events, municipality updates, entertainment, lifestyle, and the great outdoors. Email him directly if you want your business profiled or know a community member that deserves recognition - email@example.com